Forum

Welcome to IndyRockets

This site was created as a resource for anyone interested in hobby rocketry in central Indiana.

This is also the source for information on the Rocketeers Of Central Indiana (ROCI), Section #625 of The National Association of Rocketry (NAR). Feel free to check here for information about ROCIs launch events. The launch events are conducted throughout the warmer months at the Academy of Model Aeronautics' Headquarters and Aeromodeling Center in Muncie, Indiana. This facility is the finest flying field in the state and ROCI is proud to be the exclusive host of the rocketry events held there. ROCI is not currently conducting meetings as we have lost our meeting place.

Registered users of this site are free to visit our forum pages to discuss rocketry topics and share information with other members.

Please register to join the fun and keep 'em flying.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC:

August 16th Launch 2 months 2 weeks ago #2932

  • klnjberry
  • klnjberry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 159
  • Karma: 5
  • Thank you received: 33
NOTAM has been called in. Need to be at the field at 10:00am to help set up the launch field. Start launching at 11:00am. Weather still might be a problem. I will look at it tonight. What does everybody think about the weather forecast??? Should we GO or NO GO????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

August 16th Launch (visited site and trailer) 2 months 2 weeks ago #2933

I went out there to pick up the rails and meet John; had a look around. Rails should be clean tomorrow - that crud is nasty!
What follows is Robert's opinion.

Current weather is rain showers app. 0700-0900 website dependent. No problem there.
Winds NNW at 9mph AM going to 13mph PM. Each weather site has different wind predictions but they tend to vary around these values.

With NNW winds predicted, corn east of pavilion is a bit less of an issue. Could set up pads at West End of blacktop with a slight W tilt off vertical and get a general LZ near AMA Event HQ. No alerts please : ) just a suggestion of 4-5 degrees...nothing extreme.

With the corn in present state, West or SW winds and a lot of rockets will be eaten.

I'd say hold a "go" until tomorrow AM. If the weather goes pear-shaped, cancel in the morning.

On the ROCI trailer: I had a look at it and it is locked. We'll need a key.

Also, I tried to lift the trailer tongue to get a guestimate of tongue weight. My Outback will pull 2300lbs but tongue weight needs to be 160lbs or less - it's a unibody and the quarter panels can warp when it's overloaded. Without doing some redistribution of weight in the trailer, I probably can't safely move it.

Cheers / Robert
Cheers / Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

August 16th Launch (visited site and trailer) 2 months 2 weeks ago #2934

Hi.
My original conflict with tomorrow's launch has been canceled so I can come now. Robert, I can move the trailer with my Edge....I did it last time. I also have the trailer's lock code. So count on me doing that unless the launch is scrubbed due to weather. Looking at NOAA's site, winds are steady at 10-13 with gusts to 18 so close to a no-go. NOAA also shows rain chances from 8am to 1pm. Wind direction forecast consistent with what you said. Hope to see you tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

August 16th Launch (visited site and trailer) 2 months 2 weeks ago #2936

You may and may not - Wendy's father is currently having a health emergency (heart and lungs, not Covid). The hospital only allows one visitor per day so I can't go see him. No problem about missing the launch but I have the rails.
Shall I take them to Muncie and lean them against the ROCI trailer by event HQ just in case?
Wendy said I should go ahead and Level 1 - but that is wind dependent. Losing a LPR is one thing, a HPR that took aeons of sanding and a fair amount of cash is another.

Robert
Cheers / Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

August 16th Launch 2 months 2 weeks ago #2940

  • klnjberry
  • klnjberry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 159
  • Karma: 5
  • Thank you received: 33
Just looked at the weather. Rain in the morning. Might be a delay but let's GO. If we have to, we can wait until rain clears. Set up at 10am and will try to start at 11 am. Need to stay safe, bring your mask, hand sanitizer and park 6 foot apart in the parking lot. See you at the field.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

August 16th Launch 2 months 2 weeks ago #2941

Lee, I'll move the trailer. I should have it over to the site by about 10. Robert, do what you need to do for family.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.036 seconds