Launch Event "Flow"?

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #89 by dhabegger1
Hey all,

I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but this will be the first time I've been to a public/NAR section launch on Sunday. I plan to pay my dues and join up then. 

I have a few questions about the launch in general, so if anyone can explain some of it, that'd be awesome! Want to be prepared. 

So, 

How does the event "flow" so to speak. I show up, I do what? Do I need to fill out paperwork/register? How do you know when you're up to bat? Can anyone walk me through this? Is there a limit to how many flights you can make? What's good "launch etiquette"? etc. I am completely new to this. 

Also, I see it's open to the public, and I had asked about junior membership in an email. I was told there isn't junior membership but my sons (three of them) would be welcome to fly. How does that work in relation to my above questions? Registration/flow/etc? Is there like a manafest or guide for these events?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, what kind of launch pads are made available? 1010, 1515, 1/4", etc.?

I greatly appreciate your help folks!

-Dustin

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by dhabegger1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #91 by achoward
Replied by achoward on topic Launch Event "Flow"?
I've been out of town for the last week (with very little internet) and just saw your note. Welcome! Every flight needs a completed flight card (we have them there) and an inspection to make sure the rocket is safe. If OK, a pad is assigned and when the range safety officer (RSO) announces that "the range is open", the flyer can proceed to the pad to put their rocket on. For low power, hook up the igniter leads, and check for continuity. If OK, then inform the RSO and wait for your turn for the launch. We have 1/8", 3/16", 1.4", 1010, (and 1515 on request). NAR/TRA certification is required to launch a high power rocket (generally greater than a G.) It flows pretty well as you will see.
Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Check here before heading out. Again, welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: garydzeb

More
1 year 8 months ago #93 by achoward
Replied by achoward on topic Launch Event "Flow"?
Our Prez says that the launch is a go for tomorrow, 8/14.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #94 by dhabegger1
Replied by dhabegger1 on topic Launch Event "Flow"?
Thanks for the reply! Sorry I missed it! Some very helpful members were able to point me to where/what I needed to do. I very much enjoyed attending today! Thank you for the warm welcome! I hope to do my level 1 cert flight in September and bring my sons along with their low power stuff as well. ?
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by dhabegger1.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds