Trackers

More
1 year 6 months ago #121 by mcfrye2014
Trackers was created by mcfrye2014
I have been using a Marco Polo and I have found my rocket every time, but it tracks RF and you kind have to be like Indiana Jones looking for treasure - it takes time.  

What would you recommend and the next tracker - and I am thinking of GPS?

Any opinions on the Simple GPS Tracker???

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #122 by achoward
Replied by achoward on topic Trackers
My experience with GPS has only been with Eggtimer. Cris Erving is a rocket hobbyist who knows electronics. He keeps the costs reasonable by offering kits. His excellent documentation for building has step by step instructions with pictures. His customer service is outstanding. I’ve emailed him a bunch of times with questions or issues and he promptly gets back with a solid answer. His documentation also has good info on rocketry topics. I did first build a practice teaching kit that taught techniques for surface mounting as I hadn’t done that before. There are people on TRF that will build them for you for a modest price. Since I don’t have a HAM license, I use the 900MHz versions. He does sell HAM versions and one of our club members has built some of those that will have a greater range. I’ve not had a range issue with mine. Cris has had recent problems of getting some chips in. Because of the chip situation, I think the Mini unit is even easier based on his current sourcing. Check out his website. eggtimerrocketry.com/ You can look at his manuals. I’ve enjoyed building a number of his products. It’s very satisfying when you power the thing up and it works!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcfrye2014

More
1 year 6 months ago #123 by achoward
Replied by achoward on topic Trackers
Another note, I modified several NCs 3 to 5" so that I can interchange my GPS sled with LiPo battery between rockets. I have done that with ebay sleds so they're interchangeable. That keeps costs down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcfrye2014

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds