Launch System at May launch

More
11 months 1 week ago #205 by admin
My apologies for the problems with the launch system. I thought the charger was three or four amps but it turns out it's only one. That charge rate undoubtedly left the batteries undercharged. The error was mine. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 week ago #206 by ThomS
Replied by ThomS on topic Launch System at May launch
OK.... So, since I didn't bother to come back today, Sunday, how did it go after (I assume) a thorough charging?

More
11 months 1 week ago #207 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Launch System at May launch
Todays launch was canceled due to the weather. I will be thoroughly examining the system in a few days.

More
11 months 1 week ago #208 by mcfrye2014
Thank You! Any update on the wireless system? Was it just a lack of charge, or something else too that caused an issue - lack maybe a software glitch or something. Thanks for all you do. I appreciate it.

More
11 months 1 week ago #209 by admin
After talking to John, I'm not sure what the issue was. There seem to have been some battery charge problems so I've gotten a better charger to address that. However, I feel like that doesn't explain all of the problems experienced.
The current plan is to have John bring me the system next week so I can better understand what happened. I'm also completing the system update so spare pad controllers will be available at future launch events.
Additionally, I'm experimenting with different antenna setups. I really feel that we need to get the antennas raised to about two meters above the ground to extend their range. Perhaps better antennas will be needed, but we need to try mounting them higher first. This will require some tripods for mounting the antenna beside the controller or a stand that the pad controller boxes can be placed on to raise them.
I'll post updates here as I learn more.

More
11 months 1 week ago #210 by admin
OK, I've got my plan of attack together.

1) I'm putting together a launch controller and one pad controller to do battery testing. I plan to charge the batteries and then leave them on for 10 hours to determine how much the batteries drain under no load for a day. I will also run them using a simulated load by having the launch controller execute a series of commands under program control for 10 hours to test the battery drain under simulated heavy-use conditions. The launch controller will be my future test system and the pad controller will be one of the existing club upgraded boxes so no club expenses will be incurred.

2) I've ordered two photo light tripods, two extension cables, and one omnidirectional 5dBi 915mhz antenna for testing. These are not being purchased using club funds. I'm getting them so I can do testing for future development. If these items solve the range issues, the club will need to decide if they want to purchase similar items for the club system.

3) I plan to make a pad controller that controls three pads and is mounted directly to the low-power pad racks. Again, this is being done at my expense. If the club decides it's a good idea to update the existing pads, so be it.

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds