Launch System Issue

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #22 by admin
Launch System Issue was created by admin
While looking at the existing launch controller I've noticed a problem that needs to be addressed. The issue is that some of the front panels have been broken -- the antenna mount is a particularly break-prone area. Since all the panels will need to be replaced anyway, I thought I'd check with you guys to see how you want to address it. There are two viable options:

1) 3D print new panels and hope for the best

2) Have custom aluminum panels made that are attached to a simple back panel with epoxy to allow the mounting of the guts.

Actually, there's a third option -- a fully machined front panel -- but I shudder to think about the cost of that...

The pro's and cons of the two approaches

3D Printed Panel Pros

Somewhat less expensive (I've never figured a total cost of time and material so this might be a wash. The total cost for the current panel is probably $25 to $30)
Quicker to replace if broken

3D Printed Panel Cons

Very time-consuming to create. 
Not very durable, hence this discussion.
Requires the application of decals for labels
Requires the application of clear-coating to protect the decals.

Aluminum Panel pros

Far stronger material that is not likely to break under normal use.
The panel would be powder coated and silk screened for a much more durable surface.
Far less labor-intensive to create.

Aluminum Panel Cons

Probably more expensive (in the neighborhood of $40 per box. I won't know for sure till I design the final panel and get a quote).
Can't be changed easily if the design changes in the future.
A longer lead time to acquire panels.

So, how do you guys want to proceed?

BTW, this doesn't currently apply to the Launch Console panel since there is only one of those for the system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #23 by achoward
Replied by achoward on topic Launch System Issue
Since we'll always have "new" folks using the equipment and since most of us will only use it a few times a year (forgetting details, etc), I vote for the more rugged approach. Perhaps this will save time and cost over the longer run. As much error proofing as is cost effective as possible.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 2 weeks ago #24 by Emet
Replied by Emet on topic Launch System Issue
If I am understanding correctly I would vote for option 2 the aluminum panels.

Like you mentioned the current ones are not a very durable design so they will have to be maintained more frequently. It does not look like there is a big cost difference and sure looks worth it to me.

Thanks for all your work on the launch controllers.

Emet
Last edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by Emet. Reason: Add thanks

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #25 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Launch System Issue
As a next step, I plan to print a reference panel overlay (the aluminum part) and the glue-on backplate so I can do some fit checks. If we decide to order these things I want to make damn sure they're correct before I send the data off.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #26 by silgan01
Replied by silgan01 on topic Launch System Issue
I would vote to use aluminum front panels. The one panel that had the antenna mount break off just fell off of the bucket it was setting on to raise it up off the ground.

More
2 years 1 week ago #29 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Launch System Issue
It looks like everyone wants the aluminum panels. Should I go ahead and have them made?

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds