The state of the launch system

More
2 years 1 month ago - 1 year 11 months ago #9 by admin
As most of you know, I've been working on a new version of the wireless launch system. The original plan was to rebuild the existing system over the winter and have it ready for Spring. Well, that kind of allowed the possibility that Spring would come and we wouldn't have a functional launch system -- not good! So I decided to do things a bit differently. I'm currently finishing up 2 smaller systems. These systems consist of a launch controller and two pad controllers. This setup will allow me to test all of the functionality of the system design without disabling the club launcher. When all of the testing is complete I will start on the club system. 

I'd like to stress here that all of the parts for the two test systems have been paid for by me. No club funds have been used on them. These are my test systems for future changes but we may use them from time to time at club launches to test changes before they are applied to the club system. In many cases, the only thing that will need to be done is load a software update into the club's launch system but not for the current changes. All of the guts of the current boxes will be rebuilt reusing as many of the existing components as possible. This will be a large task that I could use some help with when the time comes. One item that will need to be purchased for the club system update will be the touch screen for the launch panel. The new touch screen is sunlight readable and higher resolution. It's also more expensive. The touch panel for the upgrade will cost the club $120 by the time shipping and taxes are added. I recommend that the club purchase 2 of them so there will be a spare in the event of a failure.

So, what's different about the new system? A lot! Physically, all of the electronics are now built onto a single panel. This makes maintenance much easier since everything is in one place for testing. The batteries are now strapped into a battery holder so they no longer flop around. Only one connector is mounted to the exterior of the box; the charge connector. This connector has been changed to make it very difficult to connect incorrectly. I would say it's impossible to do but then someone would try to prove me wrong.

Summary of physical changes:
  1. New, sturdier, mounting adapter for the cases.
  2. New battery mount.
  3. Improved panel layout.
  4. Elimination of most external connectors and controls.
  5. Much improved touch screen with sunlight-readable display.
  6. Smaller igniter lead connectors (XT30 vs XT60)
  7. New printed circuit board with a variety of improvements
Summary of operational changes
  1. New pairing operation that ties launchpad controllers to a specific launch controller (and vice-versa) to ensure that only your launch controller can command a launch (or any other operation)
  2. New setup screen to allow the launch controller to be configured. Pairing is entered from this menu (a pairing switch is provided on the launchpad controller). Also on the setup menu is the ability to scan the range to rebuild the pad list, the ability to do a switch test,  set a custom System ID (required), and reset the system to 'factory' settings.
  3. The banks are still selected using the key switch as before. Selecting a bank automatically selects the first group associated with the bank and displays the pad status of all pads.
  4. Pads are displayed with their associated continuity. Touching a pad button will toggle its state. In 'ADD' m, more than one pad can be selected in this manner and all will be armed and launched when directed to do so. Pads cannot be selected if they have no continuity.
  5. Every operational command sent to the launchpad controllers will return the continuity for all of the pads. This is done in the command acknowledgment so it no longer requires a series of continuity requests to update this status. 
  6. The available groups are always displayed at the bottom of the screen in all operational modes.
  7. 'Keep Alive' functionality has been added. The launch controller will periodically send 'pings' to the launchpad controllers to ensure they are still responding to commands. If a group fails to respond it is removed from the available group list. Additionally, if a paired device is turned on after the range is set up, the 'ping' command will discover it and add it to the available group list.
  8. Color coding on the screen controls has been more standardized. Gray indicates that the control is not selectable. Yellow indicates the item is in a 'caution' state. Red indicates the item is in an 'armed' or ready to fire state. 
  9. Hand-shaking has been improved.
The system will be tested at the May launch. The existing system will remain unchanged so it can be used for our main activities.

Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by admin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #13 by admin
I made a change to the way some components are mounted that is causing a problem with putting everything in the case. This, in turn, required that I redesign the mounting frame. I’m printing the new ones now and still hope to be able to show you guys a prototype of the new system at the launch.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #19 by admin
Since the March launch has been canceled I've decided to post an update on the new launch system design. I currently have one test launch console and four test pad controllers running. They function pretty well as is but there are some fiddly bits that need to be addressed. Most of these issues are related to inconsistent messages displayed on the pad boxes. Most of these are simply the wrong message is in the code but some are indications that the controllers are not doing things correctly. I'll be walking through the code to resolve these issues. The other area of development is finalizing the pairing process and its underlying code. Pairing is working but it can be kind of finicky at times. I'll plan on having it ready for the April launch.
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by admin.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #20 by admin
The software is functionally complete. That doesn't mean there aren't any problems with it -- it just means there's somewhat working code for every planned function.

More
2 years 4 days ago #35 by admin
FWIW, my new Apple Mac Studio is getting delivered today so there won't be any more work done on the launch system before the launch. I have it ready for limited testing. The club launch system has been charged and is ready to go.

More
2 years 1 day ago #40 by admin
I've finalized the front panel design and sent all the data off to the manufacturer. I'll keep everyone posted on progress as I get updates from them. 

Also, an anonymous donor has come forward to pick up the cost of the panels so everything is good to go.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds